How to Keep Your Baby Awake During Breastfeeding

10 Ways to Keep Your Baby Awake During Breastfeeding

** This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission after you have clicked on my link.

How to Keep Your Baby Awake During Breastfeeding

Many babies will fall asleep during a breastfeeding session, especially in the first months. One problem with babies falling asleep during their feeding is often times they have not had enough to eat. As a result when you lay them down to sleep they may wake up shortly after looking to continue the feeding.

When babies fall asleep it provides mom with some relief and time. Time that they can use for themselves whether it be to also get a little sleep, have something to eat, or do chores around the home. It is so important to make sure that baby's tummy is full so that he can sleep well and allow mom this little time.

The following  are some tips you can follow to keep your baby awake during feeding.

1. Have skin to skin contact with your baby. This will help to stimulate your baby allowing him to take in more milk. Try removing your top, keeping your nursing bra and dressing baby down to a diaper to make skin to skin contact simply.

2. Switch breast as soon as baby starts getting drowsy and closing his eyes.

3. Change baby's diaper. Removing baby's diaper will expose even more skin to air which will most likely cause him to wake up, especially if he is still hungry.

4. Burp him. Babies need to be burped anyway as they tend to swallow air during feedings. Letting him sleep without releasing gas may cause disturbances during sleep and end in a baby waking up still tired. The best way to do this is by supporting baby in an upright sitting position on your lap. This method is less sleep inducing that  burping baby over your shoulder.

5. Massage the top of your baby's head (crown). Using your fingertips massage gently in a circular motion. This will help keep him stimulated.

6. Tickle baby's feet. Tickle under the feet and around his toes as these are very sensitive areas.

7. Place baby in an upright position. It will be more difficult for him to sleep this way.

8. Blow a little air on his cheeks. A little light air is all that is needed.

9. Place a damp cloth on his forehead. Cloth does not have to be cold. Baby will become aroused from sleep just from the touch of a slightly wet cloth.

10. Unlatch baby from the breast and lay him down next to you. Wait a few seconds and if he has not finished his feeding be sure he will wake up quickly wanting more. Do this instead of placing him directing in his place of sleep.

Have you breastfeed a baby who slept during feeding only to wake up minutes after placing down in his bed?

comments
21 May 2016 at 05:14 delete

Luckily, I never had a problem with my little one when he was a newborn as I fed him by demand. I fed him almost every hour, until now that he is one year old.

21 May 2016 at 12:12 delete

Interesting, I don't have kids!

21 May 2016 at 23:11 delete

I don't have kids, but I didn't realize it was such a chore to breastfeed lol. Good tips.

22 May 2016 at 04:20 delete

These are great pointers! I know I used to have the same problem and my babies would wake up hungry very soon after feeding :/

22 May 2016 at 07:37 delete

These are great tips, especially for new mums, I'm sending the link to my pregnant friend x

22 May 2016 at 10:35 delete

very informative didn't know they tend to fall asleep.

Elizabeth O.
22 May 2016 at 16:02 delete

This is the perfect guide for firs time moms! It's definitely important to keep them awake and make sure they've had enough to eat before we allow them to sleep, otherwise, we would also feel tired and restless.

22 May 2016 at 16:21 delete

I had the hardest time feeding my 3 if maybe I would have done better with these tips...these days I far gone for me now lol

22 May 2016 at 16:21 delete

22 May 2016 at 22:25 delete

Breastfeeding is a very memorable bonding moment, I remember when I breastfed my son, I keep him awake whenever he feeds!

23 May 2016 at 04:35 delete

I always stripped baby down to keep him awake, and tickled his little feet!

23 May 2016 at 06:49 delete

These are wonderful tips for new moms! Tickling the feet is probably the best!

Kim Carlson
24 May 2016 at 01:31 delete

Well, nice tips these are! But I don’t think babies fall asleep while breastfeeding. They need more every time. As a mother of two children, I’ve never experienced such problems. It was such cozy time between me and my children. What we think is breastfeeding is really complex and needs a lot of experience to feed the child perfectly. Surely, it’s not like that at all. What if someone is going to feed her baby for the first time after the birth? Can’t she be successful in her job? Yes, absolutely, she can. But the things you’ve mentioned is really helpful for the new mothers.
Breastfeeding

24 May 2016 at 08:37 delete

I just shared to this my coworker who is 7 months old pregnant.

24 May 2016 at 15:38 delete

These are some great tips!!! I will have to share this info With a bestie that's about to have a little
One :)

25 May 2016 at 20:33 delete

just discover this site from somewhere. great sharing story & experiences. i will recommend this site to my friends out there.