How to Keep Your Baby Awake During Breastfeeding
10 Ways to Keep Your Baby Awake During Breastfeeding
** This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission after you have clicked on my link.
When babies fall asleep it provides mom with some relief and time. Time that they can use for themselves whether it be to also get a little sleep, have something to eat, or do chores around the home. It is so important to make sure that baby's tummy is full so that he can sleep well and allow mom this little time.
The following are some tips you can follow to keep your baby awake during feeding.
1. Have skin to skin contact with your baby. This will help to stimulate your baby allowing him to take in more milk. Try removing your top, keeping your nursing bra and dressing baby down to a diaper to make skin to skin contact simply.
2. Switch breast as soon as baby starts getting drowsy and closing his eyes.
3. Change baby's diaper. Removing baby's diaper will expose even more skin to air which will most likely cause him to wake up, especially if he is still hungry.
5. Massage the top of your baby's head (crown). Using your fingertips massage gently in a circular motion. This will help keep him stimulated.
6. Tickle baby's feet. Tickle under the feet and around his toes as these are very sensitive areas.
7. Place baby in an upright position. It will be more difficult for him to sleep this way.
8. Blow a little air on his cheeks. A little light air is all that is needed.
9. Place a damp cloth on his forehead. Cloth does not have to be cold. Baby will become aroused from sleep just from the touch of a slightly wet cloth.
10. Unlatch baby from the breast and lay him down next to you. Wait a few seconds and if he has not finished his feeding be sure he will wake up quickly wanting more. Do this instead of placing him directing in his place of sleep.