10 Healthy and nutritious snack ideas for breastfeeding moms
** This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission after you have clicked on my link.
Since eating full meals can be a challenge with a new baby snacks are the perfect fill. The key to finding the best snacks is choosing those that require minimal preparation and can be ate using just one hand. To breastfeed your baby just one of your hands is needed leaving one hand free. Here are 10 highly nutritious and super-easy snacks that moms can enjoy while at the same time providing food for their baby.
1. Fresh fruits. Bananas, apples, pears, berries are very easily accessible. Keep some in a bowl on a table near to your breastfeeding station. Remember to wash fruits and vegetables prior to placing them in a bowl.
2. Smoothies. Use a combination of fresh fruit along with milk or yogurt. Add in a little honey if desired. Great fruit combinations include banana with milk and honey, mixed berry and milk, and banana and strawberry with yogurt.
3. Unprocessed cheese cubes. Cheese will provide you with plenty of calcium and protein. Dress up some crackers with your choice of cheese whether it be cheddar, mozzarella, or swiss.
4. Raw vegetables. Celery, cucumbers, peeled carrots, and lettuce are packed full of vitamins and nutrients. Serve with some hummus or yogurt for extra protein.
5. Dried fruit. Raisens, apricots, prunes, and dates are rich in iron and packed with energy.
7. Toast with nut butter. This is a very easy and satisfying snack that will help you load up on some extra protein.
8. Muffins. Bake up a few batches which can be stored in the freezer. Fill them with berries or fresh fruit for more nutritional benefits.
9. Hard boiled egg. Eggs are high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, as well as all 9 essential amino acids. They also contain a wide variety of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Boil a few eggs and keep them in the refrigerator for a easy and quick filling snack.
10. Natural yogurt with granola and fresh fruit or berries. Yogurt is a great source of calcium and protein, as well promoting probiotics. Adding granola and fresh fruit or berries will add loads of extra vitamins and nutrients and make you feel full for longer.
Remember to also get enough fluids during the day, especially water. Whenever you have a snack follow up with a full glass of water.