15 Reasons Why You Should Eat Figs
Fresh figs wither and perish quickly, so it's important to eat them within a day or two of purchasing them. You will find them in season between June and September, although you might be able to find certain varieties later into the fall. It is best to choose those that are plump and free from bruises. Don't wash them until just prior to eating them. Add chopped, fresh figs to oatmeal or yogurt or stuff fresh figs with goat cheese and nuts for a tasty snack.
1. Boost the immune system. Figs contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals including B vitamins, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron. They are very rich in antioxidants which support immune health.
2. Strengthen bones. As compared to other fruits, figs are highest in calcium making them an excellent fruit to eat to make sure your bones are healthy and strong.
3. Help regulate blood pressure. Figs are packed with potassium, a mineral that helps to control blood pressure and hypertension.
4. Reduce cholesterol. The soluble fiber found in figs called Pectin helps in reducing blood cholesterol.
5. Help digestion. This fruit is high in soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps stabilize and lower blood sugar levels and helps with digestion.
7. Help throat pain. Figs comprise a high amount of mucilage, which assists in healing sore throat. The soothing nature of figs and its natural juices assist in relieving stress and pain on the vocal chords.
8. Fight constipation. Due to its laxative effect, consuming this fruit can be very helpful for treating chronic constipation.
10. Prevent or treat acne. Mash one up and apply to troubled spots. The fruit's high water content acts as an excellent skin cleanser.
11. Alternative to dairy products. Because this fruit is rich in calcium it is an excellent alternative for the therapeutic treatment of people who are allergic to dairy products.
12. Prevent cancer. Figs are high in antioxidants and can stop free radicals from damaging cells, which can prevent certain types of cancer from forming.
13. Lose weight. Because they contain a great source of dietary fiber, they can work wonders for those who want to lose weight.
14. Treat insomnia. Its high content of Tryptophan, induces good sleep and helps the body to relax.
15. Slow down the aging process. Figs contain a good amount of antioxidants which is effective to protect the skin from free radical damage. It slows the ageing effect and improves skin health.