Natural Relief of Heartburn During Pregnancy
** This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission after you have clicked on my link.
During both first and second trimester in this pregnancy I rarely had any heartburn. I am now down to the last 5 weeks. For the past 2 to 3 weeks heartburn has become a daily hindrance for me.
The image below may explain why all of a sudden I have been hit with this awful feeling.
Some other causes of heartburn during pregnancy include:
1. Certain foods including caffeinated beverages, chocolate, fried and fatty foods, citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, and tomatoes, and alcohol which should be avoided during pregnancy for so many reasons.
2. Consuming large meals.
3. Eating too close to bedtime thus not giving food a chance to digest.
I do not like to take medications in my pregnancy unless absolutely necessary. I have compiled a list of all natural remedies that do seem to give good results for relief:
1. Water. It helps by washing any excess acid that splashes into the esophagus. As simple as it seems this may work for some people but not all.
2. Almonds. These are good for digestion because of their high oil content which neutralizes stomach acid. Eat at least a handful (about 20) and allow 30 minutes to pass for it to work.
3. Bananas. They work as a natural antacid.
4. Grapes. Good at relieving indigestion as well as any stomach upset.
5. Pineapple either fresh or juiced. It contains an enzyme that helps control levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
6. Apples. Another great acid neutralizer. This one is my favorite as it works within minutes after consuming. All you may need is a slice or two. I just tend to eat a whole apple as it is nutritious anyway.
These are the methods which I have tried and seems to work for me. There are many other all natural remedies as well.