Kitchen Safety Tips and Personalized Drawer For Toddlers
My 14 month old son loves to follow me around our home. I am sure that one of his favorite rooms to be with me is the kitchen. The kitchen has drawers and cupboards filled with various and interesting items sure to attract any toddler. Of course having a toddler hang with you in the kitchen is not all fun and games.
Safety should of course be first priority.
Here are 5 safety tips I use when cooking with my toddler:
1. Use drawers and bottom cupboards to place items such as pots, pans, plastics, well sealed dry and canned foods. Keep anything that may potentially cause him harm such as knives and glassware above.
2. When cooking using the stove top select the burners farthest away from reach. My son cannot reach any yet however I am not taking any chances.
3. Store toxic chemicals such as household cleaners in another room locked in a cabinet. If you have to have them stored in a kitchen cupboards keep them under lock.
4. Before turning on the oven it is best to remove toddler from the room.
5. Make a personalized kitchen drawer. Fill it with items that can be played with safely. Measuring cups, spoons, plastics, and yogurt containers are great for this. Add something different every once and awhile to keep interest.
Here is a picture of my son's own kitchen drawer!
Have you tried this idea? If so what items did you use?