Homemade Brown Sugar

Homemade Brown Sugar

One common issue with brown sugar is that it tends to become hard and lumpy. I myself have purchased brown sugar that became very hard soon after opening the bag. So what would be a better alternative?

It is most likely that you already have sugar in your kitchen. The only other product you will need is molasses. You may even have molasses on hand already.
 These two items are all that is needed to make  homemade brown sugar. To be honest it seems better to make your own occording to when you need it. That way you won't have to worry about it hardening or becoming lumpy.
Now lets get on to the quantity required and the method.

Halloween Costumes

Ingredients:

Light brown sugar:

1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon molasses

Dark brown sugar:

1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons molasses

Method:

Pour sugar into a large bowl. Add molasses and mix with a fork until well blended.
You can also add this mixture to a food processer and pulse until combined well.

comments
21 September 2014 at 02:15 delete

I just used up my last bag of brown sugar so I was going to try to make some soon. I have a little bit of molasses left in the jar so I guess that is going to determine how much I can make. My mom always had hard brown sugar when I was growing up so she put a piece of bread in the bag and sealed it up. It was always soft when she was ready to bake. I have a little pottery piece that takes the moisture out and I put it in when I open the container but I use it so quickly that it never matters!!! Can't wait to use your recipe.

23 September 2014 at 17:37 delete

Hi Alison
Thank you for the tip about putting bread in the bag. I had heard of this before and it nice to know that it really does work. I too usually finish up the brown sugar before it gets any chance to become hard.

24 September 2014 at 05:43 delete

This is one of those homemade items that I have not tried. I would definitely make this is small doses so that I can use when needed. Sometimes, I buy brown sugar and it stays soft and sometimes it does not. It would really help if I could make my own...

24 September 2014 at 09:32 delete

I make almost everything from scratch, but I haven't tried brown sugar. Great idea :)

26 September 2014 at 19:03 delete

This definitely works out better when made as needed especially since it takes very little time and effort.

26 September 2014 at 19:05 delete

Thank you Ann! Only in the last year have I started trying to make more foods from scratch. I hope to keep at it!

2 October 2014 at 02:11 delete

Congratulations on being featured on Wake Up Wednesday!
Check it out here - http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2014/09/moghul-wuw-linky-party.html

11 October 2014 at 07:35 delete

Wowwww This is a great post !!
I've never even though of try to make brown sugar myself.
I must try!!