**The links in this post are affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.
It is not necessary to have babies wear shoes before they begin to walk. Even then shoes really only need to worn when walking outside. Our eldest son did not wear any shoes up until he started to walk outside. Our youngest has not started to walk yet however he may begin to do so in just a few months. The following are tips I have found very helpful when making that first purchase of shoes for those little feet.
1. Shop at the right time. Baby's feet swell during the day so it is better to go shoe shopping in the afternoon as opposed to morning.
2. Determine the correct size. You don't want shoes that are either tight fitting or too large. Tight fitting shoes can cause blisters and skin irritations. Shoes that are too large may cause your baby to trip and fall resulting in injuries.
3. Choose a material that is breathable. Good choices are cloth, canvas, or leather. This will help keep little feet from becoming sweaty.
4. Be on the lookout for super soft soles. Ensure that they are slip resistant and have good flexibility.The flexibility is a must so that your babies can use their feet properly for balance.
5. Measure both feet. One foot is usually a little bigger than the other. So be sure to buy the size that will fit the bigger foot.
6. Pick out shoes that are quick and easy to put on and take off such as Velcro, buckles, and elastic straps.