Friday, 29 August 2014
10 Egg Substitutions For BakingPosted by Bismah Abdelgawad in: Food Preparation Tips
What usually happens when you get an urge to bake and discover that you have ran out of eggs? Most likely you will decide not to bother with the recipe. Instead why not try some of the following substitutions for eggs. These not only are a life savor when you have run out of eggs. They will also come in handy for those times you may need to bake for someone that has an egg allergy or is vegan.
Each of the substitutions listed below is equal to one egg.
1. 2 tbsp applesauce
2. 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
3. 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp water, and 1 tbsp vinegar
4. 1 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tbsp water, and 1 1/2 tbsp oil
5. 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/2 medium sized banana, mashed
6. 1 tsp baking soda and 2 tbsp lemon juice
7. 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tbsp vinegar
8. 1 tbsp cornstarch and 3 tbsp water mixed well
9. 2 tbsp potato starch
10. 1 tsp yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
Notes: Depending on the recipe you are using there may be a slight change in the taste or texture.
I have only ever substituted up to two eggs in a recipe by doubling the above. I do not know if this will work well in recipes requiring more than 2 eggs.