Sock Sorting Activity For Toddlers

Sock Sorting Activity For Toddlers

This is a great activity to encourage the development of sorting skills as well as fine motor skills. At the same time this activity will also help with recognition of colors, shapes, textures, and sizes. All of these skills are very important for young children. These types of activities also provide healthy stimulation as well as fun and entertainment at the same time. Another plus is this is completely free. It does not cost a penny.

What you will need:

- Matching pairs of socks
- A bin to mix them in

What you will have your toddler do:

First let him to play with the container of socks. My son started with removing one sock and a time and placing them on the table. Then he placed them back in the bin one at a time. He repeated this process several times. This will give him time to visualize and feel the socks.
Next initiate the sorting. Choose two matching socks, remove them from the container and lay them out in front of you. Your toddler may try to copy. If not continue another one or two times. He will get the idea. At first I found it best to start of with just a few pairs of my son's own socks only. I increased it a little each time. Eventually we will start adding mommy and daddy's socks as well to make it more interesting.
I am enjoying watching him as he progresses.

Have you done any sorting activities with your toddler or young child? Would you like to share?

comments
22 November 2013 at 07:45 delete

Thanks for sharing such a simple, yet effective idea. We've not done this, but I'll try it this weekend with Little Man - I'm sure he'll love it.

22 November 2013 at 16:49 delete

This works for older kids too. My 5 year old's laundry job is to match and fold socks. I'd love to see you post this on our Family Friday Link-Up. Here's the link: http://missyhomemaker.com/family-friday-link-up-party2/

23 November 2013 at 05:59 delete

I think that this would be great because it would also stop him from complaining about how I turn his socks in to connect them so I don't have to sort through them every morning :) Two birds with one stone. I think I have found my son's new laundry job.

25 November 2013 at 01:21 delete

Good idea:) My 4 year old daughter likes to help me orginaze the laundry and she is good on folding socks.

25 November 2013 at 06:47 delete

Aww... I actually did this with my little guy all weekend! It was fun and now I feel so much better! A clean house seems to always make you feel great, doesn't it?

25 November 2013 at 07:03 delete

Great idea for a simple, fun (and productive) toddler activity. And here are some tips to help conserve (i.e. not lose) those little socks when washing them:

25 November 2013 at 18:28 delete

Sounds like a great activity and a great way to get your toddler into helping out.

25 November 2013 at 21:35 delete

Thank you! My little guy loves this. At first he spent alot of just emptying the container of the socks one by one and then returning them back one by one. He is slowly getting the idea. I am sure it won't be long before I will be trying to make it more interesting for him!
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 21:41 delete

Thank you! I will be sure to make this my little guy's job when he gets the hang of it enough.
I have linked up on Family Friday. Thank you for the invite! Looking forward to reading other blogs on this link up.
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 21:43 delete

Thank you Alison!
I agree this will make a great job for any little one.
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 21:45 delete

Thank you Jeanette!
I think the laundry room is actually the best place for kids to start learning and helping with chores. Your little girl must feel so proud helping her mommy!
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 22:04 delete

Awe I found the most fun part for me was helping him and watching him. The expressions on his face are priceless.
I have to agree about feeling great in having a clean house!
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 22:07 delete

Thank you Jennifer!
Yes it is and also doesn't cost anything.
I will check your attached post today.
Have a great day :)

25 November 2013 at 22:08 delete

Thank you Sarh!
Yes it turned out to be a great activity!
Have a great day :)

26 November 2013 at 05:09 delete

Great sorting idea! My kids have always loved helping with the laundry. Sorting, folding, washing...they are all great ways to get the kids involved!

27 November 2013 at 03:24 delete

Thank you! My little guy will be 18 months in just over one week. He has just started showing an interest in the washing machine and washing clothes. Of course he wants to put all the clothes in one load. Just so cute to watch them :)

4 December 2013 at 11:44 delete

This is a super cute idea! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing on Family Friday Link Up Party!

26 March 2014 at 02:10 delete

Great idea. We're looking for ways to get the little one involved more with chores. And this way he can learn as he does it. Thanks.

25 May 2014 at 10:54 delete

This is a great game that we play also. It works with face towel folding and dish towel folding.

26 May 2014 at 00:27 delete

What a simple but fabulously smart idea! Will definitely be trying this with my boys. Thanks for linking up at the #smallvictoriessundaylinky! You've been pinned to the group board. :)