Here is what I found out!
Leg cramps are very common in pregnancy, especially during the third trimester. So that explains it for me!!!
While they are more common during the night, they can happen any time during the day.
The main causes of these leg cramps are:
1. Poor circulation. This is caused by weight increase and hormone changes, dehydration, from the growing fetus which results in more pressure being placed on the nerves and blood vessels.
2. Excess or lack of minerals. This could be either an excess of phosphorus or a shortage of calcium or magnesium.
3. Increase in weight and change in posture.
Here are some all natural methods to help prevent and provide relief for leg cramps.
For the prevention:
1. Exercise Daily. Even if it is just 10 minutes.
2. Drink plenty of water.
3. Elevate your legs.
4. Avoid crossing your legs.
5. Sleep on your left side to provide circulation to and from your legs.
6. Get plenty of calcium.
7. Stretch leg muscles before bed.
8. Wear supportive socks.
9. Avoid wearing high healed shoes.
For the Relief:
1. Apply heat to sore muscles with either a heating pad or a hot water bottle. This will relax the muscles and ease pain.
2. Give the area a gentle massage to relax the muscles.
3. Sit in a tub of warm water to relax the muscles.
Thank you for reading!