Looking for a way to use up some mixed nuts that may have been opened for some time?
Well I had some opened almonds, pistachios, and peanuts. All combined together they almost made up one cup. I also had some leftover sweetened condensed milk.
I had wanted to make a sweet of some sort and remembered how sweetened condensed milk combined well with quick oats. Only my hubby does not like oats. I then decided to try combining the milk with coconut instead.
This dessert recipe is a fairly sweet treat and nice tasting. Easy to make with few ingredients.
2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons rose water
1 cup of nuts roughly chopped
1. Place coconut in an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and into a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10-12 minutes or until coconut is a golden color. I would recommend taking it out after 8 minutes, mix it up and then return for the remainder of the time. Remove and set aside.
2. Place sweetened condensed milk and butter in a nonstick pan. Cook, stirring often over low heat for 5-6 minutes or until the caramel is pale golden and thick. Remove from heat.
3. Add the toasted coconut, rose water or blossom water to the prepared caramel. Stir until all are well combined.
4. Pour the mixture over 20x25 cm tray and flatten evenly. Sprinkle and press nuts on top.
5. Cool to room temperature and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
Cut into squares and serve.